Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did you write these workbooks?
The following reasons inspired me to write these workbooks:
- My desire to help children become aware of their thoughts, feelings, and actions. Recognizing thoughts and feelings and expressing them in healthy actions will have a significantly positive and generalized effect in all areas of children's lives including academic performance, self-esteem, social skills, and physical health.
- The need to teach emotional health during childhood when children establish their healthy patterns of relating to themselves and others that will endure a lifetime.
- The presence of mental health problems in our nation in epidemic proportions and the tremendous need in children and adolescents to recognize and accept their feelings, and express them in healthy actions.
- Why did you choose to teach thoughts, feelings, and actions?
Thoughts, feelings, and actions are the essential building blocks of emotional health. Recognizing our thoughts and feelings, and expressing them in healthy actions constitute the basic skills we need to build self-esteem and fulfilling relationships.
- What are your workbooks about?
These workbooks teach children self-awareness and self-empowerment. As children read, draw, think critically, and write creatively, they actively learn to recognize and express their thoughts, feelings, and actions. Also, they progressively become aware of their power to choose healthy thoughts and healthy actions in their lives.
- What are three things children can learn from completing your workbooks?
First, children learn that their feelings are okay and they have the choice to express those feelings in healthy actions. Second, children learn that their thoughts make things happen in their lives. Healthy thoughts lead to healthy actions and unhealthy thoughts lead to unhealthy actions. Third, they learn that they can choose healthy thoughts that will make them feel strong, powerful, and invigorated.
- Who would be interested in reading and completing your workbooks?
All children in third to eighth grades from every setting where education is the primary focus. For example, all children over the age of 8 who are in public and private schools, after-school programs, and homeschooling will benefit from completing these workbooks. Also, teachers and parents who decide to read and discuss these workbooks with their children will learn from listening and observing their children.
- Why did you choose 3 to 8 grades?
I chose 3 to 8 grades because learning experiences during this sensitive period will have important long-lasting effects over the life span of individuals.
- What is special and unique about your workbooks?
The following reasons make these workbooks special and unique:
- They introduce children of mainstream education to the essential building blocks of their emotional health.
- They are versatile, user-friendly, and accessible to every child.
- Without prior training, parents and teachers can offer these workbooks to their children.
- They translate abstract cognitive-behavioral principles into a language that every child can understand and apply easily in their daily lives.
- They allow children to actively participate in their learning using their creativity, imagination, and critical thinking.
- They contain the author's commentaries to accompany, clarify, summarize, and encourage children as they progress through the workbooks.
- What type of research supports these workbooks?
The concepts of these workbooks are based on cognitive-behavioral theory. Numerous studies have proven the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral concepts in educating children, adolescents, and adults. Also, I wrote these workbooks based on my educational background, my 13 years of clinical experience, and my personal experience.
- How do these workbooks work best?
Like in any other learning situation, the key to the success of these workbooks will depend on the active involvement of teachers and parents in the learning process of their children. These workbooks will be most effective when parents and teachers read the workbooks, encourage children to apply them, positively reinforce children when they do, and become examples for the children by choosing to express their thoughts and feelings in healthy actions.
- Why did you write them in the format of workbooks?
I wrote them in the format of workbooks because I wanted children to work independently. Also, I wanted children to own and apply the concepts learned in their daily lives and feel proud of such accomplishment.
- Aren't these concepts too basic for middle school children?
No. These concepts are not too basic for middle schoolers because learning about thoughts, feelings, and actions is essential to the emotional health of every person regardless of age. In reality, the concepts in these workbooks are not so basic. They are derived from cognitive-behavioral theory in psychology and some of them require children to reach certain developmental milestones to fully understand them. For example, the concept of "thought" introduced in Grade 6 Workbook requires some abstract thinking. What makes these workbooks unique is their ability to make these abstract concepts accessible to all children through an organized and fun format.
- What is self-awareness and self-empowerment?
Basically, self-awareness is knowing yourself or recognizing your thoughts, feelings, and actions. Self-empowerment is the power and energy children experience when they realize they can choose healthy thoughts and healthy actions instead of reacting to other people and circumstances.
- Are the workbooks suitable for private and public schools?
Yes. These workbooks are suitable for private and public schools. They are designed for any setting where educating children is the primary focus. These workbooks exclude no child because they are down-to-earth and are developed in a clear and progressive manner.
- Are these workbooks also suitable for homeschooling?
Yes. These workbooks are suitable for homeschooling because homeschooling parents can spend the time reading and discussing the workbooks with their children. Usually, these parents have a hands-on approach to educating their children and can positively reinforce their children as they recognize and express feelings in healthy actions. Thus, the language of thoughts, feelings, and actions can become quickly the language shared by the entire family.
- Do parents and teachers need prior training to purchase or offer these workbooks to children?
No. Parents and teachers do not need prior training to purchase or offer these workbooks to children. Information in these workbooks is presented in a tangible and straightforward manner, and concepts are introduced slowly for everyone to understand. Thus, children can work independently at their own pace.
- Can you complete more than one workbook per academic year?
Yes. Even though I set general guidelines on when to use these workbooks, children can start doing these workbooks from 8 years of age and complete them at their own pace. Children in upper grades can complete all six workbooks in one academic year.
- What workbooks should I buy? Do you suggest to do the workbooks in order?
Every child must begin with the first workbook of the series, Grade 3 Workbook, and complete workbooks in order. Truly, children will not understand more advanced workbooks if they do not complete the more basic ones because the workbooks build upon each other.
- How do I purchase these workbooks?
Each workbook has a corresponding Manual for Teachers and Parents. These manuals contain a Preface, an Introduction, brief instructions on how to complete the workbooks, checklists, and the answers to exercises. Consequently, when purchasing the workbooks for children, you need to purchase the corresponding Manual for Teachers and Parents. (If you have multiple children in one specific grade, you may need to purchase one Manual for Teachers and Parents for that specific grade and the amount of workbooks for children you need).
- Where can I purchase these workbooks?
You can purchase these workbooks online from this website starting at the Buy the Workbooks page.
- How much does each one cost?
Each workbook for children costs $14.95. Each matching Manual for Teachers and Parents costs $16.95.
- Should parents and teachers help children complete the workbooks?
Since the information is presented progressively and clearly, children can complete their workbooks independently at their own pace. Parents and teachers can assist in the completion of the workbooks, but should always remember to facilitate independent work. Parents and teachers best help when they read all workbooks, encourage children to apply the information learned in everyday situations, and reinforce them positively when they do. The involvement of teachers and parents will be the key to the children's success with these workbooks.
- As a teacher or parent, what can I do if I see signs of mental health problems in my child when completing these workbooks?
These workbooks are not meant to be standarized instruments to diagnose or treat psychological problems. Nevertheless, if you identify a concern in your child that warrants follow-up, then the appropriate referral for diagnosis and/or counseling should be made.
- Do you recommend children to share their answers in a group setting?
This course is designed for each child to have his or her own workbook and complete it individually. In a group setting, some children may feel inhibited to express their true feelings. They may fear other children misusing the information or sharing it outside the group. Instead, I suggest to read and discuss in group the concepts and stories contained in the workbooks, and positively reinforce members when they display healthy actions in the group.
- Did being a mother help you write these workbooks?
Yes. Being a mother of three children helped me write these workbooks. For example, one night, after one of my sons and I finished reviewing a history test, we felt exhausted. After giving it some thought, we realized that our unhealthy thoughts had depleted our energy. This experience inspired me to write Grade 8 Workbook that explains the relationship between thoughts and energy.
- Can you complete these workbooks at a later age?
Yes. Teachers, parents, and children can complete these workbooks at any age because the workbooks are designed in a clear and organized way and concepts build upon each other.
- Can teachers and parents benefit from these workbooks?
Yes. Teachers and parents will benefit from these workbooks either directly, by doing the workbooks themselves or indirectly, by listening to their children express their thoughts and feelings in healthy actions. The concepts taught in these workbooks are essential to emotional health at any stage of your life.
- Can I use these workbooks as a way to know and communicate better with my children?
Yes. These workbooks can be used as an tool to know and communicate with your children. Reading the workbooks with your children and discussing their thoughts and feelings about the different situations presented in the exercises will allow you to create an emotional connection with your children. Also, these workbooks offer a down-to-earth and effective language that the entire family, class, or school can share to communicate thoughts and feelings.
- What was the most valuable lesson you learned when writing your workbooks?
I learned that we need each other to achieve our dreams. My family and friends encouraged and helped me in the process of writing, editing, and publishing these workbooks. My three children were the source of inspiration to write these workbooks. I could not have written these workbooks without my husband who not only believed, respected, and enjoyed my dream but also made it his.